On November 21, WMPRSA will host MLive All Access – a combination of the speed meeting format that has proven popular in recent meet-the-media events and a panel discussion featuring MLive Media Group Vice President of Content John Hiner, MLive Grand Rapids Editor Julie Hoogland and MLive Grand Rapids Community Engagement Specialist Zane McMillian. Space is limited and early registration is encouraged.
WHEN: Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:30 a.m.: Registration, book media appointments, boxed lunches Noon: Panel discussion begins 12:30 p.m.: Speed meeting session
WHERE: MLive Grand Rapids Hub 169 Monroe Avenue NW Grand Rapids, MI 49503
FEES: Member $25.00 Nonmember $35.00 Student $20.00
The panel will discuss MLive’s evolving approach to reporting and engagement that began early last year as the company reinvented its approach under a new business entity. Current strategies will be shared from a statewide, local and digital perspective.
During the speed meeting portion, attendees will gain access to 20 reporters from across the MLive Media Group outlets – The Grand Rapids Press, Advance Newspapers and On The Town.
Attendees should arrive early as the sign-up period for the four-minute long, one-on-one meeting sessions will begin at 11:30 a.m. in the registration area.
John Hiner heads news operations for MLive Media Group. He has served as vice president of content since February 2012. He previously served as executive editor of The Flint Journal, Saginaw News and Bay City Times, and before that served as editor of The Bay City Times.
Julie Hoogland leads news operations for MLive Grand Rapids Press, having assumed that role in January 2012. She joined The Grand Rapids Press in 1994 as its Lakeshore bureau chief. An assistant metro editor since 2000, she has held a variety of positions, including education editor, public safety editor and editorial board member.
Zane McMillian is the community engagement specialist for MLive Grand Rapids Press, having assumed the role in October. He previously served as a reporter for MLive Grand Rapids Press.
PARTICIPATING MEDIA - SPEED MEETING
NEWSROOM LEADERSHIP TEAM
- Julie Hoogland — Editor. Oversees the 30 journalists and photojournalists who produce content for MLive and The Grand Rapids Press.
- Zane McMillin — Community engagement specialist. Leads the editorial board and engages with readers on comments, letters, guest columns, live chats and social media.
- Tanda Gmiter — Managing producer. Oversees police, courts and breaking news.
- Kate Nagengast — Managing producer. Oversees arts and entertainment, health and business.
- Nate Reens — Managing producer. Oversees politics, governments, education and sports.
KEY CONTACTS FOR PHOTOGRAPHY/SPORTS/CALENDARS, EVENTS, RELEASES
- Joanne Bailey-Boorsma — MLive’s On the Town editor. Manages entertainment and events calendars for MLive, On The Town and The Grand Rapids Press.
- Chris Clark — Lead photographer. Helps coordinate photo and video coverage. His five-person team creates award-winning photo essays.
- Pete Wallner — Lead sports reporter. Helps coordinate coverage of West Michigan high school, colleges, Griffins and Whitecaps.
- Mike Gillis — Senior administrator associate. Sorts letters to the editor, takes story tips, tracks local events, and handles news releases, Santa Claus Girls and other special projects.
- Todd Chance — Entertainment concierge. Writes stories, emcees events and does video interviews.
- Jeffrey Kaczmarczyk — Arts and entertainment reporter. Specializes in fine arts and ArtPrize.
- Sue Thoms — Health reporter. Writes on health care trends, area hospitals and other health topics.
- Jim Harger — Business reporter. Covers development, agriculture, automotive and real estate.
- Shandra Martinez — Business reporter. Covers retail, office furniture, manufacturing – and is on the editorial board.
- Garret Ellison — Business reporter. Covers beer industry, restaurants and development.
- Matt Vande Bunte — Local government reporter. Covers Grand Rapids City Hall, other communities and politics.
- Monica Scott — Education reporter. Covers K-12 education and is on the editorial board.
- Brian McVicar — Education reporter. Covers higher education.
- Heidi Fenton — Cops reporter. Covers breaking news and writes features about those impacted by crime.
- John Agar — Federal courts reporter. Also does investigative pieces.